Espresso martini has a terrific history
If you just want the recipe for espresso martini, skip the section here. But I still want to take a moment to tell the story – or myth if you will – about the coffee drink over them all. If you serve the story with a shaken and well-brewed espresso martini, there is a guarantee of getting points in the account.
Espresso martini is an elegant and creamy drink that suits most festive occasions. The drink has the same invigorating effect as vodka red bull, but is far more socially acceptable – especially when you are around 30. It is in particular the process in the cocktail shaker that makes the drink “shaking” delicious, as it gives a frothy effect and lightness, who dresses coffee really well.
Originally, the popular coffee drink was called vodka espresso, and the story goes that the inventor, Dick Bradsell, on an evening shift as a bartender in London in 1983, was greeted by a stunning beauty who sat down at the bar. A young model who, after a grueling day in front of a clicking camera, needed a cheerleader who could, and I quote: “wake me up and fuck me up” . Bradsell’s combination of espresso, coffee liqueur, sugar and vodka became a hit, and today both the drink and the model are reportedly world famous. However, no one knows her name, and Bradsell has never said it.
Whether the story holds water or not, I’ll leave it up to you to judge. But the narrative gives an espresso martini edge and makes it cool. Something that few drinks forundt. And besides , it just tastes superbly good !
Tell the story when you serve espresso martini to friends tonight. Then you get not only points for a good recipe, but also credit for knowing the drink’s unique origin. And while you enjoy your drinks, you can appropriately try to guess who the secret model in the bar was.
Espresso martini recipe
Remember that good with ice cream is the key word in any good espresso martini recipe. The capsule machines have long overtaken the espresso machines in Danish homes, so we have chosen to make our recipe for coffee capsules . Some people use both coffee and chocolate liqueur (creme de cacao) in their version, but we instead double up on coffee liqueur.
This is how you make an espresso martini
Ingredients for one drink:
- 2 espresso capsules from Leonel Valladares
- 4 cl good vodka
- 2 cl coffee liqueur (Kahlua e.lign.)
- Possibly. a little syrup or sugar for the liqueurs
- Lots of ice cubes
Course of action
- Brew two good shots of espresso on your nespresso machine and pour them into a shaker filled to the brim with ice cubes.
- Add 4 cl of the best vodka you have in the house.
- Add 2 cl of coffee liqueur – Kahlua is a popular choice and something available to most people. But there are many different and delicious kinds.
- If you have a sweet tooth, it may be a good idea to pour a little splash of syrup or maybe a little sugar in the shaker.
- Lay on and then shake the shaker until you have pain in your arms and your espresso martini forms foam on top.
- Serve the drink in a martini glass on a high stalk and garnish if necessary. top with some whole coffee beans.
Sources: The history of espresso martinis
Get our tips and tricks
Sign up for our news letter
and get our coffee tips and
-tricks directly to your inbox.